Saturday, January 10, 2009

I must be shallow . . . right?

So it seems as if the entire world is asking me when I'm going to get engaged. I would redirect that question to Nathan but he is out of the country and would just get uncomfortable, probably giggle awkwardly and not answer. Anyway, I think that I'm getting shallow (or even more shallow depending on who you talk to) in my old age. He mentioned to me a long time ago that we could get married the next weekend of we went to the JP. I told him no way, that it was never going to happen in a million years that way. Now, my entire life my mom has reminded me that it's not about the ring and having a wedding it's about getting married and spending your life with the one you love. But come on now! Are we girls going to be disappointed if our soon-to-be husband doesn't get down on one knee and propose followed by showers and a wedding in a white dress with the flowers and hoop-la that come with it all? (I blame all of that on TV and romantic comedies.) I joke with the girls at school about getting a big rock and feel dumb afterward, as if they might think that's all I want from Nathan. I love the silly boy more than life itself and with his return next Friday I'm already super excited. But if I wasn't so darn shallow wouldn't I forgo the hoop-la and just get married as soon as he proposed? Wouldn't I not care if he wasn't on one knee with a carefully thought out plan and a lovely ring? On the other hand, at this point I think he could just show me a ring box and I'd lose it and say yes. Ha! The poor boy has no idea what he's in for one day! So can I blame my shallow, idealistic notions of proposals and weddings on media? Should I get over the fact that it will be 6 years soon and I'm ready to wrangle the boy in and make him out up with my silly notions forever? Lord only knows and I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Note: Please tell me I get blame media! After reading crap like this, I must be brainwashed!
(My favorite mind-numbing parts are in bold)

In a white fantasy wedding, Fergie and Josh Duhamel were married Saturday under magnolia trees filled with thousands of white roses, PEOPLE confirms. The Black Eyed Peas singer, 33, wearing a Dolce & Gabbana gown, and the actor, 36, tied the knot at the Church Estates Vineyards in Malibu. Fergie carried a bouquet of white flowers studded with crystals as the couple exchanged H. Stern rings engraved with personal messages. Ten bridesmaids were dressed in contrasting black. Fergie's specially-designed engagement ring featured a 4-carat brilliant cut diamond set amid other diamonds. A narrowed diamond wedding band completed the set.

Ok, can I barf now? Who actually has weddings like that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment